- 123 Archer Street,
Woodford QLD 4514
- PO Box 1212,
Woodford QLD 4514
- Directions here
Sub Branch History
On the 7th February, 1920, 14 members from the Woodford district met and formed the Woodford Branch of the R.S.S.A.I.L.A. (Returned Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen’s Imperial League of Australia). The inaugural President was Mr V Burke. Over the following two months, memorial trees with plaques were planted along Archer Street in memory of those from Woodford who had paid the supreme sacrifice during World War One. At that time an Honour Board was placed in the Police Station embellished with the names of those from the area who had served. Later that same year, the ladies of Woodford started a ‘Lending Library’ in the hall in aid of the returned diggers. This group has changed its name several times since, later becoming the Woodford RSL Women’s Auxiliary and now the Citizen’s Auxiliary.
In June 1924, Woodford’s first ‘Memorial Hall’ was built and later renamed the ‘Diggers Memorial Hall’. Hurricane lights were used to illuminate the facility as the township did not have electricity until well into the 1930s.
World War Two saw the Woodford Volunteer Defence Corps formed which was trained under the guidance of local saddler, Mr.W. Cobb. Also formed was the Woodford/Villeneuve Light Horse Troop which saw service in World War Two as part of the 2/14th Light Horse Regiment.
Many men and women from the Woodford District have served in the Australian Defence Force dating back to the Shearer’s Strike of 1891 to more recently, East Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan. History has demonstrated that members of the Woodford community strongly supported their country in all theatres of conflict and proudly served under the Australian flag.
Since 1990, a closer bonding has occurred between the Woodford RSL and other ex-service organizations such as the War Widows Guild, Legacy, Vietnam Veterans and the National Servicemen’s Association. These organisations have joined Woodford in increasing numbers at both ceremonial and social events.
Membership of the Woodford Sub-Branch was at its highest in 1950 when it reached 44 members. Current membership is approximately 35.
The Woodford Sub-Branch enjoys interacting and liaising with the community particularly with the three local schools with its Community Link Program. These schools are the Woodford, Delaneys Creek and the Mount Mee State Schools. The Community Link Program is embraced to foster the ANZAC spirt amongst the students by encouraging involvement by remembering of our servicemen and women, past and present.
The Sub-Branch supports these schools with annual bursaries awarded to the top students. This program highlights the Sub-Branch’s commitment to the youth of the Woodford District which also helps raise the profile of the service men and women in the area.
The Woodford RSL Sub-Branch will continue to kindle the district’s military past and looks forward to continuing its allegiance with the community well into the future. It will remember those who have served and will continue to watch over those who remain.
The Woodford RSL Sub Branch Inc meets to conduct its Monthly General meeting on the second Saturday of each month. The meetings are held at the Sub Branch 123 Archer St, Woodford, QLD 4514. The meeting commences at 9.30am and is followed by fellowship.
Our Annual General Meeting is held on the second Saturday in March and may be held in the Woodford Memorial Community Centre or in the “Shed”.
There is no meeting in January.